How Things Work Around Here
The purpose of this wiki is to jointly collect and record Avacal's culture and history.
Appropriate topics for this Wiki include subjects having to do with (in order of priority)
- Our History within An Tir
- the SCA
- the Middle Ages
with the exception of items which are defined in the #Inappropriate Subjects list.
- Copyright-free material
- Works to which you own the copyright and want to put in the public domain
(Comment: this list is awfully short -- but taken with the Scope, it pretty much covers everything.)
Examples of appropriate content
- event information (date, branch, autocrat, activities, court news)
- personal event memories and chronicles
- newcomer guides
- jargon definitions (see Glossary)
- contest results/winners and champions
- a personal page describing your SCA life (persona, branch, first event, awards, interests)
- original research results, research articles, research guides (bear in mind that all content on this site becomes part of the Public Domain)
- annotated booklists
- royalty: reigns, progresses, highlights, support staff, pictures
- branch descriptions
- "keepers" postings from an SCA mailing list with the permission of the author
- Copyrighted material
- Material concerning subjects outside the #Scope of the Avacal Wiki
- Officer contact information (privacy issues)
- Official forms (provide links to them)
- Official SCA or Avacal Policies (provide links to the authority source)
- Spam, profanity, libel, personal attacks, arguments, ...
Examples of Inappropriate Content
- Kingdom Law, Corpora, Officer Handbooks (link to them)
- Event forms and Waivers (link to them)
- Announcements of short duration (e.g. event announcements, lost and found)
- stuff that doesn't have anything to do with Avacal, the SCA, or the Middle Ages
- Merchant advertising
- material copied from other websites (link to them)
- anything you don't want changed (post it elsewhere and link here)
You may link to your photos.
For photo uploads please fill out a Content Release form at www.sca.org /docs /pdf /ReleaseCreative dot pdf or the online fillable copy at www.sca.org /docs /pdf /ReleaseCreativeFillable dot pdf.
For photos, a Photographer's Release form at www.sca.org /docs /pdf /ReleasePhotographer dot pdf or the online fillable copy at www.sca.org /docs /pdf /ReleasePhotographerFillable dot pdf.
For portraits, a Model's Release form at www.sca.org /docs /pdf /ReleaseModel dot pdf or the online fillable copy at www.sca.org /docs /pdf/ReleaseModelFillable pdf.
These can be sent to the Kingdom Web Team
- Everything posted here becomes part of the public domain. Do not contribute copyrighted materials without permission.
- Create an account for yourself if you find you're contributing more than once or twice.
- Use your SCA name
- Add your signature to discussions or memories with --~~~~ (dash-dash-tilde x 4)
- We're particularly interested in keeping a "Book of Events" -- descriptions of events and what happened at them. Your memories are important.
- Use the Template:EventTemplate to get you started
- Add your own personal memories
- It's considered extrememly BAD manners to edit someone else's memories.
- Another handy template is the Template:Populace which you can use to add picture, device and important 'at-a-glance' information about yourself or others. It is considered polite to ask before posting someone's picture on the Internet, unless it is posted elsewhere (such as the An Tir Kingdom home page).
- A list of all the templates can be found here, under Templates.
- Feel free to create links to pages that don't exist yet. Someone (maybe you in a few days) will come by, see the need, and start it.
- Keep it positive. Don't get bent out of shape if someone edits "your" page. It's not your page. With a few very minor exceptions, all pages belong to all Avacalians.
- Keep it positive. Apart from Event Memories, pages should be written neutrally and without personality.
- Keep it positive. Keep personal bias out of articles you edit. If you're writing or editing an article on a controversial subject, include opinions from all sides of the debate. If you don't feel capable of writing from the opposing view, include an invitation for someone else to contribution that part.
- Keep it positive. If an issue hasn't been dealt with fully in your opinion, don't assume your needs are being ignored. Assume instead that we've been waiting for your input.
- Looking for a place to start? Look up the page for an event you attended recently and add a few memories. Look up your branch and add, correct or polish the infomation. Or visit How Can I Help for lists of pages that need attention.
- Other content ideas: Driver's Guide to Avacal (services by highway exit), Shopper's Guide to Avacal.